I was catching up with my friend @DatMan206, talking about my travels here, slightly talking about his travels around the South East Asia region (i think it was? well….he basically backpacked for three months. That’s the dream yo), and about past jobs as well. During the whole convo I had a thought of “Hey….this actually would make a great blog post. Kinda. I think?”. Of course I asked him if I based our convo on it so yes, we’re all good on that.
- Steam: Oh man. That was the dream. Although I worked there for a short time, it is by far the best job I’ve had. Office life has everything to do with happy workers. Screw being professional and all that stuff. You know what your supposed to do at work. And if you get fired for doing suboptimal work, that’s on you. So why not have a laid back office life? Even though the stuff I did was very monotonous (like almost to the point of “stab me in the eye), I didn’t mind doing it. It probably helped that I love playing video games as well. Which sadly, I don’t have that much time to spare. Man. But I digress. 10/10 would work for them again. (Ie the dream). Oh also we had a mutual friend get hired by them full time. I told him there’s a very good chance he’d get picked up for some kind of localization or translation kind of gig. I also warned him they hire the best of the best so don’t get the notion it’s going to be easy as pie.
- Travel: Yeah hearing @DatMan206’s travels was great. Although we didn’t go into the detail of it, according to him: “I want everyone to travel like that”. Well I’ll take your word on it sir. Backpacking does sound like something I’d like to do…….
- Amazon: He also told me about his stint at that company. He sounded like he didn’t really enjoy all that much. Something along the lines of “when you get on board and sit down at your desk… ‘wtf am I doing’. ” I suppose I’ll have to actually work there to give a more accurate view. On the flip side, my….nephew(? we have this really weird situation on my dad side where I’m his uncle, and his parents are my cousins. It’s….really really weird) really likes working with Amazon Web Services. Well hey good on you maybe they are two different beasts.
- Ivy league grads vs us: Yeah yeah those colleges are top notch and all. We (meaning WWU grads I guess) have this Doug Baldwin esque view of the world. Or maybe it’s just me. Anywho I get that extra motivation to kill an interview when I know I’m going up against someone from those universities. Heck I even beat someone that went to Notre Dame (Sorry if you read this! >_<) for the testing job I just got.
- My position now compared to where I thought I was going to end up 6 months ago: DRASTICALLY DIFFERENT. 6 months ago I thought I was going to be some kind of software developer at some company in the Seattle area. Starting in two weeks I’m going to be a Software Tester with Freddie Mac in either the DC area or Atlanta. I wouldn’t have any given a second thought about being a software tester. I wanted to write my own code dammit. Testers can deal with that. Welp…..that’s not how it works 6 months ago me. I suppose unit testing is pretty integral for every software developer too (Ha take that 6 months ago me). In addition, opportunities just come out of no where. Both my friend and I were on the same page on this. Grab that damn opportunity and see where it leads (at least while you’re young. Or something)
- oh my girl drummers: Okay we didn’t talk about this but it came on while we were talking. Rock the eff out yo.
Well I don’t think I came even close to what we were talking about, but I gave it the ole college try. I’m a Software
Developer Tester damn it not a writer.
Gah I just had the thought of the number of side projects I want to do…..don’t mind me if I become socially inept >_<. In addition not really looking forward to driving in DC traffic. -_-